Column

Supporting local organizations helps improve neighborhoods

Meghan Hendricks | Photo Editor

Near Westside Initiative, a Syracuse-based nonprofit, aims to transform the city by creating spaces for artists, residents and local businesses alike.

To support student journalism and the content you love, become a member of The Daily Orange today.

The near westside of Syracuse city is ranked the ninth poorest neighborhood in the United States. Many households have an income below the poverty line of around $34,000, and the area has vacant homes in need of rehabilitation.

Downtown Syracuse and the surrounding area of Syracuse University has seen a rise in both the construction of luxury apartments and renovation of vacant buildings.

A high percentage of abandoned buildings and homes within a neighborhood can cause high crime rates and lead to a decline in the value of surrounding properties. This is evident in westside Syracuse, with a high number of vacant homes contributing to a cycle of poverty for residents. In 2010, Syracuse’s government released a document breaking down plans to improve the westside, and according to the data collected by the city, 632 houses were vacant.

Political leaders in Syracuse should be focusing their attention on organizations like the Near Westside Initiative that are vital to begin transforming the neighborhood.

Founded in 2006, NWSI has been focused on tackling issues affecting the westside of Syracuse. Originally, the organization was founded by Syracuse University and the Gifford Foundation. At their core, the aim of NWSI’s projects is to tackle poverty throughout the westside of Syracuse.

Goals of revitalizing the neighborhood are met by combining art, technology and culture. Although the nonprofit has had to overcome a few hurdles following COVID-19, its list of accomplishments deserves more attention from the city and residents.

Along with large institutions within Syracuse supporting this organization, many community leaders and local businesses provide their support. Participation of westside residents also plays a major role in the success of the NWSI.

Stephanie Zaso | Digital Design Director

From community events to property development, NWSI provides many resources and programs for the westside of Syracuse. Major projects include the renovation of Skiddy park, a collaboration with locally owned grocery store Nojaim Bros to educate consumers on healthier food options, SaltQuarter’s residence program to support artists and the development of abandoned homes in the neighborhood.

While SU pulled back its support in 2017, the organization still has lots of resources, programs, projects and grants to continue expanding. The goal for NWSI is to both support its surrounding community and become self-sufficient, with leadership from the westside community.

Jaleel Campbell is an artist in residence at the NWSI and resident of the westside area. Campbell sees grassroots organizations such as NWSI as vital resources to the community that they aim to help.

“The need for organizations like Near Westside Initiative, Peacemaking Center and the Reading League and so many other different spaces that occupy the near westside initiative are needed because they work directly with the communities that need help and boost,” Campbell said.

As the current artist in residence, Campbell coordinates events and workshops for youth in the neighborhood.

“Along with working on a new body of work, I have been doing a public art component,” Campbell explains. “I host different workshops, open studios and art in the park events to engage the community right here.”

Campbell sees these events and other resources provided by the NWSI as important stepping stones for the future generations of Syracuse residents. He hopes that more community members come to events that support NWSI.

“Donating your means, whether time or fiscally, is appreciated,” Campbell said.

This simple effort to become more involved helps ensure that NWSI will continue to not only serve the community, but work towards becoming entirely community run as well.

NWSI provides resources that are necessary to uplift a neighborhood in need. What makes such initiatives important and unique is that NWSI stays community run and is therefore able to tackle the key issues that affect local members and continues to prioritize residents. NWSI’s main goal is to keep the organization community based, which helps in preventing gentrification.

NWSI’s rental properties throughout the neighborhood, focus on rehabilitation of homes near the westside and projects that bring job opportunities to the Syracuse residents work to break the poverty cycle and encourage economic growth.

While SU has pulled some support away, they still continue to aid and foresee certain parts of NWSI. Just as the university has a responsibility to offer aid to its surrounding city, students share the same burden throughout their time at SU.

Sarhia Rahim is a Sophomore Policy Studies Major. Her Column appears bi-weekly. She can be reached at slrahim@syr.edu.